11/21/2008

Stories in Hospital

In the hospital, I can see different patient sent into the ward, some of them don’t even manage to stay for more than an hour.

There was a very young patient sent in one afternoon, a young mother following. The patient struggled to pull out all the pipes and needles on his body when he just sent in, when nurse read his blood pressure, it suddenly go so high, emergency rescue start immediately, sitting there, I don’t even dare to look at him. After a while, they sent him to the operation theater and he never come back...I don’t know whether he still alive but I can never forgot the mother’s tears.

I can see some family member waiting beside their bed, just hope to see them wake up and walk out of the ward. Some of the patient has been there for months, their family members don’t even know what happened to them, and they just want the patient to talk to them again. Some of the patients were seriously injured, head, arm, leg, body...none of them is in normal shape but they never give up, they are fighting to survive, they don’t want to leave their family.

The worst case is the patient lying beside my father’s bed; he was there for 2 months. According to his wife, someone told them that the patient bang on a tree in a car. The car looked ok but they don’t understand why the driver can’t even talk, walk or even move anymore. On the day my father discharged, the doctor tells the wife, you have only 2 choices: send him for operation by 12noon and he might die in the operation theater, even come out, he will still die at the end or switch off all the support system, leave him here until he die. The patient lying on the bed, eyes opening and looking at the doctors, he might be able to understand what doctor said but he can’t move, I don’t know how he feel but I am very sad when I know this news from my sister.

His family has discussion and even quarrel before making decision. The brother wants to send him for operation and said it is his faith if he die in the theater. Other disagree, they don’t want him to suffer for another time. The wife holding his hand, sit next to him, talk to him for whole afternoon...

The family finally chooses to bring him home. When I reached there to pick up my father, the nurses alcohol rub (normally only do it on dead body) the patient, I thought he is dead, the nurse even left the curtain half open with him naked on the bed. After a while, they help him to wear back his cloth and then the patient open his eye, staring at his wife...he is not dead!!

I don’t know how is he condition now, I’m not sure whether they manage to bring him home, I am not sure whether he is happy at his home now...but every time I think of what my sis told me, I feel sad.

How can people simply give up their life when there are so many people struggling to survive ?

No comments: